Google+

She Takes a Stand Book Review

Disclosure: Chicago Review Press gave me a copy of this book free of charge for this review. All opinions in my review are my own and I did not receive any other compensation.  As in all my reviews I am providing links for your ease, but receive no compensation.

Now it may be the way my mother brought me up, but I love reading stories about strong women. I also love teaching Hazel about strong women. When I first saw the book, She Takes a Stand: 16 Fearless Activists Who Have Changed the World by Michael Elsohn Ross, I thought I might be able to read about each woman to Hazel. We tried this, but several of them were beyond her true understanding and she was always asking questions about what it meant. We decided we would have to save it for when she was older, but I got to enjoy reading it. 



http://www.chicagoreviewpress.com/she-takes-a-stand-products-9781613730263.php?page_id=21


This amazing book tells the stories of sixteen women from around the world. Some you have heard of and some you may not have. Some lived a long time ago and some are alive today. Some are old and some are young. Each made a difference in her world.  The stories of these women are complete with what they did, how they came to do it and about their childhood as well. 

The Women in She Takes a Stand
1) Alice Paul in 1918 See page for author [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

2) Kalpona Atker, Source: Clean Clothes Campaign

3) Buffy Sainte-Marie 2012 By Bamble kommune (Flickr: Buffy Sainte-Marie) [CC BY-SA 2.0], via Wikimedia Commons 

4) Leymah Gbowee, Source: Nobel Women's Initiative 

5) Mary Harris "Mother" Jones  between 1910-1915 By Bain News Service [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons 

6) Sampat Pal Devi Source: Bolega India
 
7) Maggie Kuhn Source: Wikipedia 

8) Malala Yousafzai in 2014, By Southbank Centre [CC BY 2.0], via Wikimedia Commons

9) Judy Baca, Source: UCLA 

10) Ida B. Wells in the end of the 19th century By Barnett (http://blackusa.com/ida-b-wells-barnett/) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

11)  Margaret Sanger in 1916 By Bain (Library of Congress) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

12) Rigoberta Menchu Tum in 2014 By Carlos Rodriguez/ANDES (RIGOBERTA MENCHU PREMIO ODENBRECHT) [CC BY-SA 2.0], via Wikimedia Commons

13) Dana Edell, Source: SPARK Movement

14) Jane Addams in 1914 By Bain News Service, publisher [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons  

15)  Vandana Shiva in 2007 By derivative work: Ekabhishek (talk)Vandana_Shiva_in_2007.jpg: Ajay Tallam (Vandana_Shiva_in_2007.jpg) [CC BY-SA 2.0], via Wikimedia Commons

16) Megan Grassell in 2015, Source: Girl Up 

How many of them have you heard of? Now I have to admit my favorite to read about was Megan Grassell. She is the first one in the book and Hazel enjoyed her story as well. She is the CEO of Yellowberry. Yellowberry is a company she started as a teenager when she got frustrated with the bra options her younger sister had for her first bra. We read the story about Megan at bedtime and the next day we looked at Yellowberry's website. I also love that they only photograph their product on models from the back. 

She Takes a Stand has inspired me to find out even more about these women and find a way to share them with Hazel even at this young age. It is the perfect book for Women's History Month and for any young adult or adult who wants to be inspired by these ordinary women whose actions have changed the world for the better. I also love that these women are from all walks of life and spread around the world. Some worked with young while others fought for rights of elderly. Each is a great role model for our young women.

I hope you will check this book and these women out. I know I will be sharing more about the women with Hazel and probably even here as I find books that are more age appropriate for Hazel and as we go through our heritage months and celebrate Women's History Month in March. Stay tuned!

For more posts on strong women check out: