Google+

Rapunzel's Tower and other indoor play

The past couple of days Hazel has been complaining that her stomach hurts. The first day I had to run errands before going to work and Steve was working from home so we let her watch television while I was out (and he was working). I think her stomach still hurt in hopes of watching television today. I'm not sure though since she has been sleeping more than usual. Her appetite is not down though, so I'm not too worried. Anyway, we took it easy and stayed home. We missed our last class at Ipswich River Wildlife Sanctuary yesterday which was disappointing, but not really a big deal. We pulled out Hazel's zoo mat that I made her and all the animals we could find for it. We used some of the animals from the Noah's ark that my sister gave her awhile ago. She decided that Joseph and Mary were the people on the ark and they were in charge of feeding the animals. All of the animals that belonged on the ark had to return to the ark each night to sleep. The Rainbow Princess that I needle felted for her was the zookeeper (and is laying down in the middle of the zoo).

Then she has been obsessed with the fairy tale, Rapunzel. I started telling it to her at night since lately she has wanted to hear stories after we read three books. Steve tells her a water-downed version of Cinderalla and Snow White (they are the only ones he remembers). I change it up a bit and have made some up like the Star Princess and the Rainbow Princess. (At some point I will have to share the Rainbow Princess story.) Lately she has been wanting to hear Rapunzel. I also have discovered some wonderful stories on CD told by Jim Weiss. Jim Weiss is an amazing story teller who changes is voice for the different characters and adds songs to the stories. I have gotten a few out of the library and the ones in the picture are her favorite two so far. I am going to purchase a bunch of them, but thought we would check them out first to see which she really likes. She loves to listen to these. Often she will get up in the morning and I will get to sleep another hour after getting her some milk and a snack while she listens to these. For awhile it was Tell Me a Story! all the time because she loves Goldilocks and the Three Bears, but now she often plays Fairytale Favorites to hear Rapunzel. Needless to say I highly recommend them and there are some educational ones for older children as well.
I took Crafts From Your Favorite Fairy Tales by Kathy Ross out of the library. The craft I liked the most was Rapunzel's tower. We tried making it the past few days. I took a wrapping paper tube and cut the top to look like a tower/castle tower and cut a window. Hazel then painted it. We then let the paint dry over night. This morning I cut a circle out of construction paper and drew a face and then Hazel glued on a few pieces of yarn to be her hair. I braided yarn to be the hair that gets let down. Then attached it to the tower with another piece of yarn so that it looped through the tower from the window to the bottom. The second piece of yarn is suppose to be the color of the tower. Since Hazel painted it, our tower is multicolor and mostly just the cardboard tube since she got board. Then we glued the head at the bottom of the window. Now the hair is adjustable to be let down or brought up.

Hazel had the best time reenacting the story. We pulled out a witch bendy doll I made her last Halloween. She changed the story...
Apparently the witch has some magic to survive the fall from the tower and to climb back up after falling! Oh, I love the imagination of my little one!

This is where I link up...

10 comments:

  1. What a fun Rapunzel craft- that craft book sounds interesting, I will have to look it up. I have always been interested in the Jim Weiss CDs I will have to see if our library has any. Hope your little one feels better soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun. I must read Rapunzel to my daughter. Thanks for linking to Fun sparks xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Repunzel craft! My girls would love to play with that!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Tonya
    http://www.stringskeysandmelodies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how fun! We haven't read Repunzel yet but when we do I will surely be making this! Thanks for sharing at my Pinteresting Party this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this is just such a sweet activity! I wish my girls were old enough to do this! Thanks so much for sharing with the Weekly Kid's Co-Op!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How adorable!!! Thanks so much for sharing at TWo Sasters:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is cute. My son is into watching Tangled and he would love this. Thank you so much for posting on Saturday Show and Tell. I hope you’ll be back this week. Also, this would go great with the Summer Activities for Toddlers. I would love it, if you shared it there as well. (http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com/summer-activities-for-toddlers) Thanks.
    -Mackenzie
    http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is so cute, what a great idea. Goblin loves the film tangled, I need to make him this tower

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have done a amazing job with you website.
    firm

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and ideas. Thank you for reading and contributing!